If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (413) 324-1300

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Did You Know Increasing the Humidity in Your Home can Lead to Mold Damage?

3/4/2019 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Did You Know Increasing the Humidity in Your Home can Lead to Mold Damage? Our SERVPRO of Hampshire County team is here to make your mold infestation "Like it never even happened."

Increasing the Humidity in Your Home can Lead to Mold Damage over the Winter in Granby

While the air becomes much drier over the colder months of winter in Granby, elevating the moisture levels too much can cause problems. Slight amounts of water vapor increased through the use of vaporizers can help people breathe more comfortably, especially during the night. However, repeated use of boiling water to achieve the same purpose, especially if continued daily, can backfire.

We want to caution the residents in Granby about having too much moisture in the home, as this can cause microbes to proliferate and cause damage. Such mold damage can happen anywhere inside your Granby residence. While we can remediate this problem anyplace it occurs, we also know that preventing microbial infestations costs less than home restoration costs.

Keeping temperatures cooler in your home and using layers of clothing while awake and extra blankets during the night keep the air from becoming overly dry feeling, and thus reduces the need to add moisture to the air. Doing these things can also reduce your heating costs, and add up over the winter. Using the oven can also keep your home warmer, at least near the kitchen, without adding too much moisture to the air. While some moisture does escape the oven and enters the air, it is considerably less than boiling water to cook produces from the stove.

Another area of the home that regularly produces steam is the bathroom. Showering daily may seem like a good way to get some humidity into the air, but instead, this allows mold damage to escalate. Running the exhaust fan during the shower and for a few minutes afterward ensures that all of the moisture gets released outside. This is especially important because the bathroom is one of the most prone areas in your home for developing mold damage.


SERVPRO of Hampshire County is always ready to help remediate mold damage when you have a problem in your home in Hadley, Ware, or Belchertown. Contact us by calling (413) 324-1300, and we can have your home free of excess mold, “Like it never even happened.” as well as provide you with additional ways you can prevent mold growth.

For more on Granby, click here

Other News

View Recent Posts