Proven Tips for Efficient Water Removal in Granby
Considering In-Place Carpet Water Removal and Drying in Granby
When clean water from a supply line leak or an overflowing tub or sink soaks carpeting in your Granby home, a decision must be made on how to extract the moisture. Merely waiting for the carpet to dry over time, even with the help of ventilation and dehumidifiers, risks the ruin of nearby structural components and secondary damage such as mold growth. Pulling up carpeting for extraction is incredibly disruptive to the customer and can cause damage to the carpet fabric and backing.
What Is In-Place Drying?
When discussing options for water removal in your Granby home, in-place drying of carpeting might be a possibility. The drying must complete quickly and follow a protocol that prevents further water migration. Elements of in-place drying include:
- Making initial passes with a regular wanded extractor to stop the water from moving into dry areas of the carpet.
- Transitioning to weighted extractors for aggressive squeezing of water out of both the pad and the carpet.
- Extracting from the center of the room out, moving furniture as needed.
- Monitoring the progress continuously by testing areas of carpet and padding for water content.
- Planning for double or triple time to remove water from the space, balanced by much less time required by carpet and pad removal.
Why Choose In-Place Drying?
Furniture can remain in rooms treated with in-place carpet drying, avoiding the expense and time needed to pack pieces out during mitigation and remediation. In-place drying also exposes the carpeting itself to a lower risk of delamination, stretching, and tearing. Skilled SERVPRO technicians can deliver a clean and dry result to customers under optimal conditions, significantly reducing the need to replace expensive floor coverings.
Are There Circumstance Inappropriate for In-Place Drying?
Leaving wet carpeting in-place during extraction is problematic in some situations. SERVPRO managers determine if the following conditions exist. If any are present, in-place water removal for carpets with their padding is rarely recommended.
More than 72 hours have passed since the water loss.
Any evidence of microbial growth or an assessment of Category 2 or 3 water damage.
- Characteristics of Underlying Flooring
Carpet installed over hardwood or laminate.
Multiple layers of subflooring or evidence of underlying structural damage.
- Characteristics of Padding
The padding has a vapor barrier or is made of organic materials.
SERVPRO of Hampshire County works closely with you and your insurance company as we plan for water removal. To best manage wet carpeting issues, call us at (413) 324-1300 as soon as practical.
Click here for more information about Granby.