How Are Northampton Kitchen Fires Restored?
Cooking Mishaps a Leading Cause of Fire Damage in Northampton
Cooking, we all do it. It is a primary everyday task many of us in Northampton do one or more times a day. Not surprisingly, cooking mishaps are a leading cause of home fire damage.
One recent instance of such fire damage in Northampton occurred this past Thanksgiving when a deep fryer malfunction started a kitchen fire. A resident, attempting to prepare a tasty deep-fried turducken for the family’s meal, had walked away for a few moments when the fire started. By the time she had returned, flames engulfed the entire kitchen counter. Luckily, the fire department quickly extinguished the blaze before it spread to other parts of her home.
In the aftermath of the destruction, the Northampton homeowner faced the seemingly insurmountable task of restoring her kitchen to its pre-fire state.
The countertop and upper cabinets were beyond repair, so she had to replace them, but the lower cabinets had survived and were salvageable. Looking around, she saw her kitchen ceiling, walls, bottom cabinets, and linoleum flooring covered in scorch marks. Just as bad was the omnipresent pungent odor that filled her kitchen and the rest of her house.
When planning her restoration efforts, the homeowner came across a listing for SERVPRO and decided to try. Once our technicians arrived, they quickly went to work on evaluating the situation. They determined the extent of the fire damage, what type of fire caused it, and the types of smoke and residues involved. The fire involved different substances, including wood from the counter and cabinets, oil and grease, the turducken, and various plastic bowls and utensils.
SERVPRO workers proceeded to clean off the oily residues and dry ash of the wooden ceiling with wet sponges and a cleaning agent. They moved down and treated the walls similarly.
Technicians continued downward, cleaning the outside of the lower cabinets and wiping their interiors with dry cleaning sponges. Next, they removed the scorch marks on the linoleum with steel wool. After completing the work, SERVPRO used foggers to deodorize the Northampton woman’s home thoroughly.
If ever faced with fire damage, find a reputable service to restore your home. If you need assistance, contact SERVPRO of Hampshire County at (413) 324 – 1300.
More about Northampton.