What Steps Can Hampshire County Residents Take to Prevent Water Damage from Flooding?
IICRC-Certified SERVPRO Techs Assists Hampshire County Homeowners with Water Damage from Flooding
Storms, ground flooding, and the subsequent water damage caused by both have heavily impacted residences in Western Massachusetts, especially after heavy July rainfall and inclement weather from the remnants of Hurricane Ida. In the wake of this recent disaster, over 100 homeowners called SERVPRO of Hampshire County for basement flood cleanup.
SERVPRO professionals in Hampshire County remediate water damage from flooding with a combination of 24/7 service, highly-trained and certified technicians, and commercial-grade restoration equipment and facilities designed to tackle small or large-scale disaster cleanup needs. SERVPRO of Hampshire County’s licensed restoration services after a flood include general contracting (license #: MA CS-107843) and residential contracting (license #: MA HIC 180066).
Other certifications local SERVPRO technicians and staff hold include:
- Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) Water Removal Technicians
- OSHA 10-hour General and Construction Industry Training
- Applied Structural Drying Technicians
- Water Damage Restoration Technicians
- Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technicians
Precautions for Residential or Basement Flood Damage
SERVPRO of Hampshire County owner Kevin Fall suggests in this video the following for protecting homes, particularly basements, from flooding:
- Keep water away from important fixtures and appliances like water heaters, furnaces, and laundry machines by identifying where water is coming from and keeping vulnerable areas like entryways blocked with sandbags
- Use wet vacuums and dehumidifiers to keep water damage under control
- Preparation is key to minimizing damages. Keep downspouts and gutters clean, with spouts directed away from the home. Clear out storm drains near the property if they are obstructed to lessen further flood risk.
- Homeowners can often salvage basement contents by keeping belongings in storage totes or elevated on palettes. In basements with carpet, the flooring can prove difficult to clean.
SERVPRO of Hampshire County stands ready to offer mitigation services that can make disaster-affected homes look “Like it never even happened.” Property owners can find out more by calling (413) 324-1300.